Through the compilation of numerous end-user profiles, the YSI Customer Applications Guide provides a comprehensive overview of how YSI’s biochemistry analyzers have helped many scientists with their unique applications and uses. With over 40 years of providing rapid, accurate bioanalytical instruments, YSI Life Sciences has established a legacy of expertise in various industrial applications, including, but not limited to:
We hope you will find this guide not only informative, but helpful and practical for your real-world analytical needs.
What: The YSI Life Sciences brand represents our series of Biochemistry Analyzers, which feature our innovative biosensor technology. Our analyzers provide critical measurement solutions for pharmaceutical, food & beverage, clinical, industrial and research applications. YSI Life Sciences analyzers measure a variety of parameters including sugars, alcohols, amino acids, organic acids, electrolytes and more.
Who: Our customers include pharmaceutical manufacturers, glucometer manufacturers, food processors, biofuel producers and medical researchers.
Where: Our biochemistry analyzers are used in quality assurance, research laboratories, manufacturing facilities and hospitals.
Why: Our analyzers are easy to use and cost effective. Our trusted measurement technology provides rapid, precise, interference free analysis for our customer’s critical processes.
Because the stakes are always high, our clients choose YSI Life Sciences because of our reputation as the Gold Standard in bioanalytical measurement, our quality products, and our dedication to customer support and service.
The following customer profiles represent the various industrial uses and applications of YSI Biochemistry Analyzers by YSI’s United States customers. Many YSI customers were contacted to provide this information. We hope you will find this information useful in assisting you for your particular application.
In many instances there are numerous customers with the same application. To avoid repetition, applications were only relisted when relatively insightful or different information was uncovered in any of the categories surveyed. For example, there were several customers using a YSI instrument for analyzing sucrose and dextrose in raw potatoes. If their previous methodology, disadvantages and/or benefits resulted in different or unique information, the application was listed again. By so doing, it is more likely that this document will provide more complete application information and better educate one to the spectrum of benefits attributed to using the YSI bioanalytical technology.
Lastly, the customer profile information will shed light on the disadvantages of alternative methodologies that may be encountered in the field. We hope the information provided here proves useful to you.
Features and Benefits Attributed by End-Users
The following list summarizes customer-provided feedback on the features and benefits of the YSI biochemistry analyzers:
- Confidence in the quality of the products
- Rapid results
- Reproducible results
- Economical cost per test
- Inexpensive to operate
- Minimal sample preparation
- Maintain great accuracy – essential for our application
- Quickly pays for itself
- Increases productivity
- High-throughput sample options, i.e., 96-well plate, are a tremendous time saver
- Results aren’t operator-dependent
- Optimizes/maximizes production-increases profit
- Enables us to continually improve our process
- Offers 2 or more channels for simultaneous measurements
- Minimal interference sensitivities
- Accelerates research efforts; moves us more quickly to our research goals; decreases development time
- Simplifies our job
- Real-time measurements with rapid results allows us to make adjustments
- Enables us to pinpoint where in the process the problem has occurred
- Easily enables us to keep product within quality control specifications and creates great confidence in the quality of our products while ensuring customers are getting what they pay for
- Low maintenance, worry-free analyzer
- Much less reagent preparation
- Reagents are not toxic
- Saved us considerable money since we didn’t have to purchase several HPLC’s for remote plants
- Reagents need not be stored in the freezer
- Simple to use, easy to train on, user-friendly so you don’t have to be a chemist to use
- Can use very small sample sizes
- Labor savings; results are obtained so much more quickly and easier than with other methods
- Saves time
- Automated measurements make it easy for students to use
- Saves money by decreasing wasted product
- Enhances the work we do
- Reliable over a wide range of glucose values
- Autocalibration reduces error
- Gives us results we would not be able to get otherwise
- Measures whole blood so it saves time by not having to spin down samples
Bioprocess Customer Profiles
YSI’s bioprocess market is comprised of the biopharmaceutical, biofuels and industrial biotechnology industries. Each customer profile listed provides a piece of the overall picture of the YSI’s bioprocess market. Lab managers like that YSI analyzers are reliable, provide fast, accurate results, and require minimal operator training.
Several bioprocess applications herein are similar in that they are typically monitoring glucose, a common nutrient source for either mammalian, bacterial or fungal cell cultures. However, there are numerous other nutrients and metabolites that are important to various bioprocesses, and, in turn, require rapid, precise analysis. For example, YSI analyzers measure important nutrients, like glucose, sucrose and glutamine, and can monitor the level of potentially harmful byproducts, such as lactate and ammonium.
Biopharmaceutical customers employ YSI’s rapid electrode-based measurements to both monitor and control processes. In the biofuels sector, YSI analyzers measure xylose and glucose to monitor fermentation progress in cellulosic ethanol research and measure residual ethanol during distillation in production facilities.
In other applications, real-time monitoring of nutrients, metabolites and/or product is desirable or even essential. Through the use of YSI’s online monitoring technologies, YSI analyzers are an invaluable tool for real-time analysis of critical nutrients, metabolites or products – regardless if the process duration spans a few hours or weeks.