Benefits of Using a Bubbler to Measure Water Level
Whether you’re purchasing a water level measurement instrument for the first time, or looking to add another to your collection, it is always beneficial to understand the different options available. We have had a few questions about the new YSI Amazon Bubbler, and decided to do a brief overview about Bubblers and the benefits they provide for complex water level monitoring sites.
First, What is a Bubbler?
Simply put, Bubbler Systems measure water level based on the amount of pressure it takes to push an air bubble out of an orifice line (plastic tubing) and into the water body. This pressure, often referred to as the “line pressure”, requires changes with the elevation of the water. As the water elevation rises and falls, so does the line pressure needed to discharge bubbles. The line pressure value, measured in psi, is then converted into the desired units of measurement to represent water level from the point of discharge to the water’s surface.
Why Use a Bubbler for Water Level Measurement?
The benefits of the continuous bubble are response and accuracy. When stage (water level) increases, the Bubbler senses this change, and within 30 seconds adjusts the tank pressure to keep the line pressure continually following the current water level.
Because only the orifice line touches the water, it is an ideal instrument for measurement in areas where large amounts of debris are common, waters are turbulent, or long-term deployment of submersed instrument is hazardous.
YSI Amazon Bubbler
The Amazon is a self-contained smart gas purge system, meaning it provides a continuous air bubble and an integrated pressure sensor that measures the pressure required to push the bubble out of the orifice line.
What are some of the key features unique to the Amazon Bubbler System?
1. Stand Alone System - The Amazon can be used as a sensor connected to other recorder devises; data logger, PLC, RTU, etc. However, at a substantial cost savings, it can also be used as a stand-alone device, eliminating the need of an external recording device. Data values recorded by the Amazon can be copied directly to a USB Flash Drive and imported to the PC.
2. Browser Based Software - The Amazon’s intuitive, easy to use software is browser based, which eliminates the need for proprietary software being installed on the PC. Access the Amazon software from any internet device that has Wi-Fi or USB connection functionality.
3. Key Pad Display - As an optional interface, the Amazon uses a Sharp® Memory LCD display. This provides the convenience of continuous display of data with the cost savings of low power usage. The display is provided as an option to the Amazon. For applications where an external display is not required, the Amazon can be purchased without the display.
4. Communication - Multiple communication options are available to insure that the Amazon can interface with any data logger, PLC, or RTU. These options include; SDI-12, MODBUS (over IP or RS-485), and 4 to 20 mA. Via the Ethernet port, the Amazon can push data over the internet directly to Storm Central, our data hosting solution.
5. Measurement Range - Three range options are available to provide the highest measurement accuracy. With an industry leading accuracy of 0.02% of Full Scale; the 0 to 10 m range provides an accuracy of ±2 mm, the 0 to 20 m range has an accuracy of ±4.25 mm, and the 0 to 35 m range has an accuracy of ±7 mm
Additional Blog Posts of Interest
How to Keep Interferences from Affecting Your Water Level Data
Irrigation District Relies on Continuous Water Usage Information
Flow Monitoring Helps Officials at Three Gorges Dam
Streamflow Monitoring Sheds Light on Early Flood Warning for San Francisco Bay Area